Monday, January 25, 2016

A Hike in Blue Ridge / Stebbins Canyon, Winters, CA

Jan 17, 2016

After several days of rains, a beautiful morning in Davis, with puffy clouds and blue skies. In other words, a perfect day for a hike. I start the 30-minute drive to the Blue Ridge Stebbins Canyon trail, adjacent to Lake Berryessa. This is the first visit in months, and after the Summer 2015 forest fire that burnt about 8,000 acres near here. Here’s a picture of my destination.



Inspired by monochrome pictures taken by a friend, I stop in Winters to click the bare almond groves in their Winter sadness. 



A few minutes and some beautiful winding roads later I’m near the trailhead. But, wait, not a single car here! That’s odd. Is the trail closed? A little sign in the parking area suggests so. 


This could be due to the recent abundant rainfall. I sense some hope - the sign seems flipped out to the side and it hasn’t really rained that hard! Sadly, my doubts are erased as I approach the trailhead. 



But I’ve waited too long and come too far to give up on this. Sorry, law, trail beckons. 



The main trail is a 5-mile loop, which ascends steeply to the top, then provides beautiful vistas of Lake Berryessa and Napa valley along the ridge, before diving into the canyon and crossing a creek towards the end. I was especially looking forward to seeing a fully-flowing creek, after years of dryness from our recent droughts. But, today, not quite sure if I should even be here, I realize I can only head to the top and turn back down. As for the creek, just a peek of it while starting the hike.




As I begin the hike, the reason for the closure dawns on me. This region was not just near the summer fire - it was right in it! The landscape has changed. Trees are shorter, and bereft of branches or leaves. The ground is black. Around me lingers the smell of fire - and surely, some death - trees, plant life and wild life?








Still, some things are not that different. Our version of El Capitan is majestic, marking the start of the ridge.







 The scenery around me is beautiful, down into the valley where I parked, and beyond towards Winters and Davis in the East. 







Some more climbling brings me to the Eastern end of the ridge top, which opens up a view of the South end of Lake Berryessa.





The trail continues along the ridge, leaking evidence of the fire and devastation.  Below it, the lake is calm and beautiful!





The muscular hills on the South side remind me of Big Sur. The East side is also a beautiful green at this time of year. 





 Overcoming a desire to carry on along the ridge and then down into the canyon, I decide to turn around after spending a few minutes to enjoy the scenery. The descent is speedy but on the way down I notice signs of new life amid the blackness and devastation.





The new life and fresh green makes for a nice end to a memorable hike. As for the trail closures, I resolve to join the volunteer group working on restoration of this area.  Hope you enjoyed reading this, and perhaps you can hike here this summer.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1539429586336123/permalink/1539429589669456/

No comments:

Post a Comment